Fully hosted Identity and Access Management
OpenAthens MD (Managed Directory) will enable your organisation to securely and effectively manage your users’ access to online resources.
It's a completely hosted solution that includes support for SAML (including Shibboleth implementations), allowing access to services outside or within federations such as the UK Access Management Federation and OpenAthens Federation.
OpenAthens MD is a development of the Classic Athens product known by millions of people across the world.
OpenAthens MD's simplicity means you can sign up and use the service without downloading any software or extensive IT support. This makes it ideal for libraries who have limited access to such skills and support.
OpenAthens is absolutely core. It’s the way we get our staff in touch with the information resources they need to do their jobs.Mary Peterson, Knowledge Manager, South Australia Health Library Network.
A great user experience
- Secure single sign-on access to multiple web-based services
- One username and password for all resources
- MyAthens’ portal providing accurate links to all content available to the user
- Independent of IP address, so users can access resources remotely.
Rich features for administrators
- Comprehensive user management facilities, making it easy for librarians to manage users and administer access to resources
- Option to allow users to register online; validated by IP address or email domain
- Ability to upload user information from another data source (for example, a spreadsheet or a directory)
- Tools to add content easily to the MyAthens portal
- Categorisation tools, enabling institutions to assign different access rights to categories of people
- Comprehensive usage statistics by user category and by resource
- Ability to set expiration dates for different categories of users, helping to meet your license agreements
- Resources can be licensed by sub organisations which can be recognised by the vendor without using IP address recognition.
Fully managed for your organization
- Highly scalable service with a proven track record over many years
- Replicated, load balanced and fully resilient architecture
- Upgrade path to OpenAthens LA (Local Authentication), so organisations can use their own established usernames and passwords
- Fully hosted solution requiring no local IT involvement
- Capable of connecting as an Identity Provider to any Shibboleth based Federation
- Fully supported service with free access 24/7 x 365 to OpenAthens Service Desk
- Long-term development roadmap with commitment to open standards such as SAML.