Managed Operating System
Our Managed Operating System (OS) services are available to our Managed Hosting and Cloud Service customers. They provide professional management of hosted customer Operating Systems (Windows, Linux) ensuring system operations, changes, enhancements and incidents are managed to a committed Service Level Agreement.
The Managed OS Service has options to manage extended platform items including web servers, web proxy servers and mail relay servers.
The Eduserv Managed Operating System service provides operational management of Eduserv configured and provisioned Operating Systems, including all recent versions of Windows and Linux.
We have preferred server builds including standards agreed to Government security requirements. These specify Operating System configuration policies; parameters and settings for individual system components; network configuration, and Eduserv Enterprise Management (EM) toolset settings for system availability and health monitoring.
- Operating System asset management.
- Operating System availability and health monitoring via ‘server heartbeat’ and event log file monitoring.
- Operating System housekeeping, in relation to temporary and log files, disk defragmentation and scheduled tasks.
- Full weekly and daily incremental backups.
- Incident management, including diagnosis, escalation to vendor support as appropriate and recovery via the implementation of a fix, or restoration from backup.
- Operating System patching, to agreed change management processes, in order to maintain the OS at recommended patch levels. This excludes major OS upgrades.
- Eduserv EM software update and maintenance.
- Anti-virus software provision (Windows) and its update and maintenance.
- Service Desk provision for incidents and change requests.
The Managed Operating System service has a number of options in relation to managing extended platform functionality.
Web Server Management - Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
- Analysis and optimisation of web server performance.
- Analysis of network usage.
Web Proxy Server Management
- Web site and page filtration.
- Firewall control on outbound FTP, Authentication control.
- Proxy server software administration.
Mail Relay and Gateway Server Management
- Queue monitoring- regularly checking mail server queues, to identify bottlenecks and to take remedial action.
- Gateway monitoring- checks and actions to ensure the consistent flow of mail through Internet gateways.